Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

From Ruth's Heart... Jack Update

God Answers Prayer… As a child I learned the song about “God answers prayer in the morning, God answers prayer at noon, God answers prayer in the evening, so keep your heart in tune.” Today, I learned it anew.


I have been abiding in Christ and praying without ceasing as I walk this faith journey and both are precious, however, sometimes I need to remember to use our resources, you our prayer warriors. That is what happened on Tuesday. As I was praying and waiting upon the Lord in regards to the role and heady responsibility “I” have happily received from Jack, to serve as his advocate in the medical arena… I suddenly realized that we have prayer warriors, so I quickly shot an e-mail to our church for distribution to our Prayer Chain and Church Staff… then was able to let it go.


By the end of the day our local gastroenterologist’s nurse called me and Jack had 2 appointments scheduled here in Bellingham... this week Friday afternoon he will have a consultation with the Radiation Oncologist and next Wednesday afternoon, 3/4 he will see the Medical Oncologist regarding chemotherapy. Not only did God answer our prayers… but he gave us the doctors that were recommended to us, appointment times that were not only expedient, but the best possible for Ruth’s work schedule… and, and, and… immeasureably more than we can ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20).


I was blessed to be able to go home and share the news of God’s answering prayer with Jack who continues to improve daily, gaining strength and enjoying new foods and the “concoctions” that he and sister Kristine have come up with that maximizes his protein intake and nutritional needs as well as providing tasty eating. His spirit is a joy to behold, blessing everyone he comes in contact with. He is the light of my life and the encourager of my heart.


Jack is looking forward to an outing tomorrow to the Senior Center in Lynden to share in his wood carver’s display of their current projects, followed by a visit to see his mother Doris. We are also planning to make an appearance at church on Sunday as we both have greatly missed worship and fellowship with our church family.


Our Daily Bread devotions yesterday were from Ruth 1:15-22, The first part of the passage is familiar and was part of our wedding vows, “urge me not to leave you… where you go, I go…” Later verses speak to Naomi’s faith and knowledge of who was in control of her life and journey through difficult times. She refers to God as the “Almighty” (Shaddai) which in Hebrew indicates God’s sufficiency for any situation… and also as “Lord (Yahweh) which refers to His faithfulness as the loving covenant-keeping God. In the midst of Naomi’s lament (you can supplant my name right here, LOL!) she never lost sight of the fact that her God was capable and faithful. I pray I will continue to “see” my Almighty Lord, El Shaddai Yahweh, in the midst of each day as Step by Step we Follow Him… and that we will daily remember His faithfulness. Again and yet again, God gives us the daily bread of himself that we need for the strength for that day. He promises not to give us more than we can handle, I am learning that what He means is to live in the moment which we can handle, not attempting to look beyond what He has giving for this day… when I do I can quickly become overwhelmed and it becomes more than I can handle, but when I am obedient to His word, it is never more than He knows I can handle. Our devotions ended with this quote drawing me back to Psalm 46:10:


“Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last. – von Schlegel


Once again we thank you for your faithful prayers! We continue to covet them for healing and strength for Jack… wisdom for the oncology doctors in how best to proceed with radiation and chemo therapy… protection against treatment side effects… peace and encouragement for the long haul… and that God will be glorified in it all!


We never cease to be amazed that God in His sovereignty is meeting our needs, as well those of people we love… providing Tim & Theresa’s a new home, contact with Jack’s daughter Ysenia, being with Bruce & Linda as they move to a new duty station in Virginia, and watching over each of our children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren, each and every precious one wherever they are.

No comments: