Thanks everyone for the prayers! Mom (Ruth) and Jack were blessed with a good trip and the details went smoothly. They even had free shuttle service from their hotel to Virginia Mason and back instead of having to take an expensive taxi! I think the theme for the visit was "God is in the details".
We are praising God that the cancer was detected (in the words of the doctor himself), "darn early". The doctors were surprised that it was even detected by the first scoping. During Jack's "esophagogastroduodenoscopy with biopsy and ultrasound" (say that fast three times!), the surgeon who will do Jack's surgery, came in and observed! This was not planned (at least not by the medical staff - another God detail). While it is disappointing that God didn't remove the cancer and we still have some questions unanswered, we are praising God for:
1. Smooth details
2. Kind, cooperative and smart doctors at VM
3. Very early cancer in the first and second layers of stomach lining and only about the size of a quarter.
4. Because it has not spread, he can have surgery without first having chemo or other treatment.
5. No Lymph abnormalities detected!!!
6. No spreading to other organs
7. Jack tolerated the procedure and medications well
1. God's healing
2. Peace, wisdom and discernment
3. Thyroid ultrasound guided needle biopsy on Monday, January 5, 2009
4. Appt with surgeon on January 7, 2009 - traveling mercies, doctor's wisdom, surgery planning
5. Timing of surgery (Jack will be in hospital 5 days)
6. Discernment and wisdom for surgeon who may be able to leave a small portion of Jack's stomach, but because of the location, this may be difficult.
7. Family healing (God knows the details)
Thank you from all of us!